August 4, 2011 Who Cooks for One?
It seems like an obvious questions, at first glance. Unmarried people, right? But more people eat alone than you might think. Many people also eat alone part of the time. First, the obvious:
- unmarried (single) people from college age to elderly
- widows and widowers
- military spouses with deployed partners
- single parents whose kids are with the other parent, friends, relatives, etc.
- married folks living apart, whether because of jobs or other demands
- single parents with an infant
- spouses who have conflicting work schedules, or whose job(s) require travel
- teenagers who have school or extracurricular conflicts with family meal times
- stay-at-home moms (dads) with school age kids
Over 160 million Americans are unmarried. What stories do you have about cooking for yourself?